Tuesday, July 18, 2017

"Inferno" - Season 2, Episode 57

Written by Dennis Spooner | Directed by Christopher Barry | Produced by Verity Lambert | Original air date 02/06/65

Though I really didn't like the last episode, I must admit I still like the Romans as a whole a great deal. Setting aside Nero's grossness (as best one can, anyway, as he's still too much), there's a lot to like in this episode. The plot gets a little weird - it relies on Nero being completely stupid and forgetful (which, I suppose, works, considering how he really was, at least as far as we know).

However, Delos not lopping off Ian's head and attacking Nero is a bit of a stretch. I know these two are friends, but he has a way out - and he doesn't take it. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that he didn't - he's a brave man, and luckily for him as a guest actor, he survives. I wonder what he got up to after Ian and his friends take off...

I like the bit where Barbara admits she hit Ian on the head with the vase, causing all of their problems - other than Ian getting a little rough about it, I buy that they're just joking around (and he doesn't actually hurt her, he just pretends like he's going to. I think. I hope. I... choose to believe?). It at least suggests, like the first episode, that they're more than just friends.

Tavius being a Christian is something I wonder about. I have no problem with someone having faith in whatever deity they do, and I don't even mind religion in general being present in Doctor Who. It's just that... this seems to suggest that being a Christian is firmly the right way to be, and that we should laud Tavius for being one. Even at this stage, I find it odd and disconcerting to have the show imply Christian morality is the only way for a person to be good. I'm reading into it a bit much, I grant you, but what is the point of having a blog if you can't do just that? If anything, I'd have preferred Tavius helping the Doctor because of his Christian beliefs be set up a little better, or to have Christianity's persecution at the time be central to the plot. Here, it's just sort of tacked on and there simply to be sentimental, which strikes me as a bit pointless.

As for the Doctor being responsible for burning Rome to the ground - I choose to believe he did change history. He does it all the time, as it is, and wouldn't it be delightful to see the exact moment where he realizes he has that power? I think that's here, even though he's clearly changed the past already. To have his co-conspirator be Vicki delights me as well - for all Vicki gets some underwritten episodes, when her qualities shine through, she's great. She's a quiet anarchist, and she's infected the Doctor, who laughs like a pyromaniac as he realizes he's the reason Rome burns.

So, "The Romans" is good watching, I think (Nero chasing Barbara around aside). The writing has improved leaps and bounds, it seems, here in the second season, and long may it continue. Unfortunately, the next serial may end the streak...

"Doctor Who" puns so far: 2 | Tomorrow: "The Web Planet"

No comments:

Post a Comment