Tuesday, July 25, 2017

"Invasion" - Season 2, Episode 62

Written by Bill Strutton | Directed by Richard Martin | Produced by Verity Lambert | Original air date 03/13/65

The plot continues to baffle. The Doctor can use his ring to control one of the Zarbi when it has the gold necklace thing around it. When he gives the ring to one of the Menoptra later so he can control "Zombo" (the name Vicki gave the Zarbi with the gold necklace on), the Menoptra asks the Doctor, "May I know it's secret?" and the Doctor replies "You may not."

Thanks for clearing that up, Doctor.

I think the Optera are the best thing about the serial. They're just as weird as everything else, but they have interesting dialogue that takes an extra second or two to decode. They do things like sacrificing themselves by shoving their heads into a wall to prevent deadly acid from spilling out and killing everyone. That is an image that got to me - Ian silently looking at Nemini's dead body sticking out the wall in wonder. That might be the most alien image in the entirety of Doctor Who - it's so baffling and strange and eerie. If I felt the way I did when looking at that image throughout the rest of the serial, it'd be a roaring success and would probably be something I rewatch regularly.

These entries are short, and I apologize for that - there's just not a ton to say. This is not something Doctor Who ever tries again, and it's so visual that there aren't many themes or anything to grapple with (and it being six episodes long, I've long since exhausted anything interesting to say about the vaseline on the camera or the costumes or whatnot). The Web Planet wraps up tomorrow, and frankly, I can't wait.

"Doctor Who" puns so far: 2 | Tomorrow: "The Centre"

No comments:

Post a Comment